Using online materials for your homework or at school is a way to improve all your skills in English, to learn something new and to use technology. Try out some of these tasks and then talk about them in class!!!!!
For each activity write down at least 3 words you have learnt while working on the task, you'll have to explain what they mean and use them once you're back to school.
AND THE NEWS
Nike's new ad campaign features Colin Kaepernick, the NFL quarterback who led player protests against racial injustice and police brutality during the national anthem, in a highly political move directly at odds with the rhetoric of President Trump.
Read the article
and watch the commercial
Answer these questions
1. What is the commercial about?
2. What is the slogan? What does it refer to?
3. Which advertising techniques have been used? How?
4. What were the reactions in the market?
Now watch the last part of this video (from min. 3.53 on) and comment on it
READ THE ARTICLE AND DO THE ACTIVITIES
READ THE NEWS AND DISCUSS THE TOPICS WITH YOUR CLASSMATES
CHINA LIMITS PAY FOR STARS
FRANCE BANS SMARTPHONES AT SCHOOL
What do you think about technology?
What do these people think about technology?
Watch the video and do the activities
ENGLISH AROUND THE WORLD
Listen to people introducing themselves, or speaking about the best ways to learn English... what have you learnt?
WAYS TO LEARN ENGLISH
CNN NEWS THE UN
United Nations 73rd General Assembly and much more...
CNN NEWS BREXIT
The relationships between Britain, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland are at risk
Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls" is a children's book packed with 100 bedtime stories about the life of 100 extraordinary women from the past and the present, illustrated by 100 female artists from all over the world.
Watch the video and do the exercises
1. The beginning of this video is…
‘Once upon a time there was a girl who _________________’.
Which was the alternative?
Why do you think they have decided to clear it out?
2. ‘From the creators of Timbuktu magazine comes a hundred stories of ____________ and __________ about women who ___________ the world.
3.What is Goodnight stories for Rebel girls according to its creators?
4. What do/did these rebel girls do?
5. Who are the creators of the book?
6. Where do they live now?
7. Where did they live in the past?
8. Why did they move?
9. .What does the book celebrate?
10. What else does the book contain apart from the tales?
11. .What are we all invited to do?
HE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA AND AMERICA ATE IT UP
What's the key attitude to success according to Mr Kroc?
Watch the trailer and comment on the story of the 'founder'of McDonald's
Now read about McDonald's history in their official website, can you spot any differences?
MATT SIMONS - WE CAN DO BETTER
Listen to the song, fill in the gaps in your worksheet and answer these questions
Video with subtitles
1. What is this song about?
2. Which part/sentence do you prefer? Why?
3. What is the message of the song?
4. Write three words you’ve learnt
5. Underline the sentences about past/present and future in different colours
What are the top free things to do in London. Watch the video and write a short passage for each attraction
Compare the previous website with this one.
What are the differences?
English in the world, one of the lessons shared by TED EDUCATION
THE CHAMP'S BIRTHMARK
The story behind Drew Brees' birthmark, and why he'll never get it removed
Read the article and then watch the interview
What's a birthmark? Why can this be a problem?
Read the story of Drew Brees and answer the questions
1. How old is he? How tall and heavy is he? (in cms and kgs)
2. What does he do?
3. What did Oprah (one of the most popular anchorwomen in the US) do and say when she first met him?
4. Why was his birthmark a problem for Drew before he became famous?
5. When he was rich and popular he had to make a choice. What did he choose to do and why?
6. What's his message to kids, teenagers and people in general?
7. How have his fans reacted?
8. Now watch the video, what strikes you the most?
BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT 2009
Here is the video of the audition of one of the participants to Britain's got Talent UK, her name is Susan Boyle.
Part one: Watch the first part of the video as many times as you need, choose if you need to enable the subtitles or not.
1. How old is Susan Boyle?
2. What does she do?
3. Where does she live?
4. Is she married?
5. What's her dream?
Now look at the judges and the audience BEFORE her performance…
6. What do you think they are feeling and thinking?
Part two: Watch and listen to her performance
7. Is she good at singing? Is this a surprise? Why/Why not?
8. What do the judges decide? Do they all agree?
9. One of the comments to the video says something like‘Never judge a book by its cover’ Can you explain why?
10. Why has she become so popular all over the world in your opinion?
What happend to Susan Boyle after the TV programme? Find out below
BTW ... Has she managed to made her dream come true?
Read the article and watch the video, then answer the questions. Sum up the whole story in about 60-70 words using the following key words
1. What was the problem in Uckfield, East Sussex on 14 July 2015?2.
2. Who tried to help the baby at first? Where they successful? Why?/Why not?
3. Who arrived and how did he sort out the problem?
4. How does he feel now?
The toy industry shuts out children with disabilities. Someone wants to change that.
Read the article and watch the interview. Try and figure out the problem and the solution the organisation suggests.
What do you think of this topic?
A TEACHER WITH BRAINS AND HEART
This teacher used a game show win to surprise every student in her school. Big time.
Read the article and watch the first video:
1. Where does the teacher live and work?
2. What did she take part in?
3. How did her experience end? Did anyone help her? How?
4. How much did she win?
5. What did she decide to do and why?
Watch the second video
6. How did the story end?
7. How did her pupils feel?
'SUPERCAR SEASON' HITS CENTRAL LONDON
Watch the video and liste to the interviews. Then answer the questions
1. What happens every summer in London? What's the consequence?
2. How do people react? Are they all happy/sad with the event?
3. What are the possible solutions? What are the pros and cons of each solution?
4. Watch the video again and focus on the tourists and the people on the street... Describe their behaviour and their feelings. Do you share their attitude? What would you do if you were in their shoes?
MALALA CELEBRATES STRING OF TOP GCSEs
Read the article about Malala's achievement at school.
1. Is she a good student? Which subjec(s) is she particularly good at? How do you know?
Then use the article and the links to other articles or videos to look for information about
2. who Malala is
3. when and where she was born
4. when and how she first got public attention
5. what happened to her on 12 October 2012 and why; what the consequences were.
6. where she is living now and why
7. what important prize she won in 2014 and what she was doing when they told her about it
8. what she is still fighting for and if she is famous for a particular speech or slogan (which one)
9. OVER TO YOU Did you know about Malala before reading the article? What do you think about her?
NATURE RX (PART 1)
Watch the second video (a commercial) on this page and answer the questions.
Feel free to use subtitles in English
1. What product are they advertising?
2. How did the man feel before using this product?
3. Who can use it?
4. What problems or illnesses can it sort out?
5. Are there any side effects in taking this product?
6. Now watch the video again and consider the tone of the speaker and his message… Is there anything strange?
7. What type of commercial do you think this is? Are they really selling something?
Now read the article
8. Does it support or criticise the commercial? How do you know?
9. Are there any links in the article to more scientific groundings to what they are saying?
Over to you!
10. What do you think of the commercial and of the website?
11. Do you agree with the message of the commercial and of the article? Why/Why not?
12. What do you think of the title? What does it mean and imply in your opinion?